It is about that time of the year again, the air is getting cooler and the days are getting shorter~ so that means COMFORT FOOD! Here are recipes that are some favorites of ours.
Minestrone Vegetable Soup
Total: 1hr 12min
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups carrots, cut in rounds
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound thick boneless ham steak, cut into 1/2″ cubes
1 can (15 ounces) diced Italian-seasoned tomatoes
10 cups chicken broth
4 cups chopped kale
3 cups cooked orzo
1. In a large pot set over high heat, combine the oil, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and red-pepper flakes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the beans, ham, tomatoes (with juice), and broth. Bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover partially and simmer for 45 minutes, or until the carrots are softened. Add the kale. Cover partially and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the kale is tender.
2. Ladle 7 cups into a shallow container. Let stand to cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days for use at another time or for a different recipe.
3. Meanwhile, stir the orzo into the minestrone in the pot.
- 12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 package(s) (14 ounce) extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
- 3 cup(s) chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 jar(s) (25 ounce) marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.
- Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan.) Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.
- Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Zucchini Stew (THANKS MARGARET FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE)
- 2 lbs italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 4 lbs chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs cubed zucchini
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 package shredded mozzarella
Brown the sausage. Add celery. Cook 15 minutes then drain. Add rest of ingredients, except green peppers. Simmer 20 minutes, Add green peppers and simmer 15 more minutes. Serve garnished with mozzerella.
Holly’s true Harvest Moon Soup
- Green Beans
- a few sticks of butter
- Brown Sugar
Simmer the tomatoes in brown sugar to sweeten them. then bring all ingredients to a simmer in a pot and slow roast for a few hours.